In the event of an accident or occurrence involving general liability, professional liability, automobile liability, workers compensation claims, or property claims, employees are instructed to do the following:
General Liability Claims
Complete an Incident Report Form and report to the campus Risk Management liaison or designated campus/unit “claims” office. This form is available from the Office of Risk Management.
Professional Liability Claims
Report any potential claim to Risk Management and/or the General Counsel’s Office. Also complete an Incident Report Form.
Complete the instruction packet located in the glove box of the University vehicle.
Any accident or occurrence must be reported using the Driver’s Report of Vehicle Accident Form immediately, and no admission of fault or responsibility should be made.
Workers Compensation Claims
EMERGENCIES: In a medical emergency that is life-threatening or results in serious bodily injury, immediately call 911 and/or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. Notify your supervisor as soon as possible.
For all other on-the-job injuries:
- THE INJURED WORKER MUST REPORT THE CLAIM TO CORVEL PRIOR TO SEEKING MEDICAL TREATMENT
- CorVel has provided us with a convenient 24/7 Nurse Triage Line for our injured workers to call and get free professional medical advice and appropriate direction for treatment: 1-866-245-8588, Option 1.
- The Nurse determines the level of treatment required.
- If medical treatment is necessary, CorVel will provide the injured worker with a choice of STATE-APPROVED treatment facilities.
- IF MEDICAL TREATMENT IS SOUGHT, THE SUPERVISOR OR DESIGNEE MUST ALSO CALL CORVEL TO COMPLETE THE FIRST NOTICE OF LOSS (FNOL)
- 1-866-245-8588, Option 2
- The Supervisor/Designee calls this number to complete a First Notice of Loss (FNOL). The FNOL must be completed when any medical treatment has been received by the injured worker. This step triggers the assignment of a claim handler and also provides CorVel with the information needed to pay any compensable medical bills.
- The initial injury may also be reported via this step if the injured worker is unable to report for any reason.
- COMPLETE THE REQUIRED FORMS, PROVIDE TO YOUR CAMPUS WORK COMP COORDINATOR
- Workers’ Compensation Injury Report: may be completed by the injured worker, supervisor or reporting designee
- LostTime/Return to Work Calendar: record the date of injury and every day thereafter until the injured worker has been returned to full duty by the treating physician. Record all absences related to the injury, even if no medical treatment was received.
- Workers’ Compensation Procedures Form: to be completed by the injured worker and the supervisor together.
- Transitional Duty Plan: to be completed ONLY if the injured worker is returned to work with light duty restrictions.
All property losses, regardless of the amount, are required to be reported. Contact the Office of Risk Management immediately in an emergency situation when the loss is estimated to exceed $25,000. Risk Management will then contact the State’s insurance adjuster and the State’s remediation company, Belfour for the clean-up and repairs. If after hours emergency cleanup or water extraction is needed, contact the only State-approved Emergency Service Contractor, Belfor at 800-856-3333. Tell the Belfor representative that you are with the State of TN Account. The Belfor project team must be on site within 3 hours of notification as required by the state contract.
In the event of a building damage loss, go ahead and clean up as quickly as possible, and protect the property from further damage, while Belfor is in route. Complete and submit an “Property Loss Report” and the “Property Claim Packet” found on the Office of Risk Management’s website to the Office of Risk Management with whatever information you have available as soon as possible. Take photographs of all damage and do not discard anything until the adjuster arrives and inspects. Go ahead and separate damaged property from undamaged property. It is important to file the claim in a timely manner, even if all of the supporting documentation is not immediately available.