In the event of an accident or occurrence involving general liability, professional liability, automobile liability, workers compensation claims, or property claims, employees are instructed to do the following:

General Liability

Complete an Incident Report Form and report to the campus Risk Management liaison or designated campus/unit “claims” office. This form is available from the campus/unit business office or the Office of Risk Management.

Professional Liability

Report any potential claim to Risk Management and/or the General Counsel’s Office.  Also complete an Incident Report Form, except for medical claims.

Automobile Liability

Refer to the Driver’s Reference Manual provided by Transportation Service and the instruction packet located in the glove box of the University vehicle.

Any accident or occurrence that may produce a claim in any area above must be reported using the Driver’s Report of Vehicle Accident Form immediately, and no admission of fault or responsibility should be made.

Any questions about reporting claims, accidents, or occurrences may be directed to the campus/unit business office or the Office of Risk Management, 5723 Middlebrook Pike,Suite 218, Knoxville, TN 37996, (865) 974-5409, FAX (865) 974-0936.

Workers Compensation Claims

  1. Report the accident/injury to your supervisor immediately.
  2. In a medical emergency that is life-threatening or results in serious bodily injury, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. Your supervisor or a family member should call the CorVel 24-hour nurse line at 1-866-245-8588 to report the incident.
  3. For non-emergency injuries, you and your supervisor will call the CorVel 24-hour nurse line at 1-866-245-8588. The nurse will determine if your injury will require self-care, or urgent care and provide you with the nearest authorized medical provider.
  4. If the injury only requires self-care, this would be an incident only claim and no further action would be needed with CorVel
  5. When medical treatment is needed, your supervisor will make a follow-up phone call to CorVel and select option 2 to complete the First Notice of Loss, and you will then be assigned a claims representative who will be in contact with you to answer questions, pay bills, and help you return safely to work.  Failure of the supervisor to call CorVel and complete the First Notice of Loss will result in the department being fined by the State.
  6. On the Risk Management website, there are links to the “Incident Report,” “Lost Time/Return to Work Calendar,” and “Employee and Supervisor Instructions” forms. These need to be completed by you and your supervisor. Once completed, please forward the forms to your campus HR/WC representative. They will review and forward to the Office of Risk Management.

Property Claims

Contact the Office of Risk Management immediately in an emergency situation when the loss is estimated to exceed $25,000.  Risk Management will then contact the State’s insurance adjuster and the State’s remediation company, Belfour for the clean-up and repairs.  If after hours emergency cleanup or water extraction is needed, contact the only State-approved Emergency Service Contractor, Belfor at 800-856-3333. Tell the Belfor representative that you are with the State of TN Account.  The Belfor project team must be on site within 3 hours of notification as required by the state contract.

In the event of a building damage loss, go ahead and clean up as quickly as possible, and protect the property from further damage, while Belfor is in route. Complete and submit an “Incident Report” and the “Property Claim Packet” found on the Office of Risk Management’s website to the Office of Risk Management with whatever information you have available as soon as possible.  Take photographs of all damage and do not discard anything until the adjuster arrives and inspects. Go ahead and separate damaged property from undamaged property.  It is important to file the claim in a timely manner, even if all of the supporting documentation is not immediately available. All property losses regardless of the amount are required to be reported.