Contact the Office of Risk Management immediately in an emergency situation when the loss is estimated to exceed $50,000 ($75,000 for water intrusion events). Risk Management will then contact the State’s insurance adjuster and the State’s remediation company, Belfor, for the clean-up and repairs.  If after-hours emergency cleanup or water extraction is needed, contact the only State-approved Emergency Service Contractor, Belfor at 800-856-3333. Tell the Belfor representative that you are with the State of TN Account. The Belfor project team must be on-site within 3 hours of notification as required by the state contract. In the event of a building damage loss, go ahead and clean up as quickly as possible, and protect the property from further damage, while Belfor is en route. Complete and submit the “Incident Report” and the “Property Claim Packet” found on the Office of Risk Management website and submit them to the Office of Risk Management with whatever information you have available as soon as possible. Take photographs of all damage and do not discard anything until the adjuster arrives and inspects. Go ahead and separate damaged property from undamaged property. It is important to file the claim in a timely manner, even if all of the supporting documentation is not immediately available. All property losses, regardless of the amount, are required to be reported.
Obtain repair estimates, or use original purchase documentation to estimate the value of the loss. It is important to file a “Property Loss Report” quickly with the Office of Risk Management, even if all requested information is not immediately available. Then fill out the “Property Claim Packet” from the Office of Risk Management website that itemizes the damaged property and contents, the extra labor expenses, and expenses as the result of the claim.

The property agency deductible is $50,000 per occurrence for all covered losses except for those arising out of “water damage” which has a deductible of $75,000.  The agency deductibles for flood and earthquake are (a) Non-hazard flood is $50,000, (b) Special Hazard Flood is $250,000, (c) Non-New Madrid Earthquake is $25,000 and (d) New Madrid Zone is $50,000.  $5,000 is charged to the department/campus. $10,000 is charged to the department if the loss is a result of theft. The Office of Risk Management has a self-insurance fund that takes care of the difference up to the State’s deductible.

Your department may proceed with purchasing replacement equipment at any time, but this must be done with your own funds and according to University Purchasing Policy. There is no mechanism to provide a loan or bridge funds to departments while awaiting insurance recovery funds.
Yes, all State-scheduled UT buildings and contents are provided all-risk, replacement cost coverage.  Replacement cost means the cost to replace an item (with an item of like kind, and quality) at today’s cost without applying depreciation.
Usually, coverage can be provided worldwide.  However, there are a few countries that are excluded. Please furnish the Office of Risk Management with a list of the equipment including description, serial number, university inventory number, and value along with the means of transportation and the countries you will be visiting, and dates. This should be done well in advance of the anticipated travel dates. Note that import/export regulations must be followed.

A Certificate of Insurance provides proof of the University’s insurance coverage to a third party. A Certificate of Insurance is sometimes required when entering into a contract or agreement with a third party. Contact the Office of Risk Management if you need a copy of the State’s Certificate of Self-Insurance.

No, your Homeowner’s or Renter’s policy generally provides coverage for personal items away from the premises (your residence).

In a sense, they are considered contents, but because of their unique qualities, they must have an appraised value recorded on a statement of values. Statewide coverage is afforded by an individual Fine Arts Policy. This policy provides wall-to-wall coverage, with no deductible (except for flood and earthquake – $10,000 per occurrence). Coverage is subject to standard fine arts exclusions such as 1. wear and tear, gradual deterioration, moths, vermin, inherent vice, or loss or damage sustained due to or resulting from any repairing, restoration, or retouching process; 2. war risks; 3. and nuclear reaction or nuclear radiation or radioactive contamination.” Incoming loans require fully executed loan agreements with an agreed appraised value for each object on loan. For loaned objects valued at $50,000 or more, a written appraisal and photograph are required. An appraisal by a qualified State Curator is acceptable. Please contact the Office of Risk Management for all new Fine Arts purchases or loans.

Yes, if the University of Tennessee is required by contract to provide insurance for an item that is in the University’s care, custody, and control. These contracts must be submitted to the Office of Risk Management for review before coverage can be approved.

NOTE: Fine arts on loan to The University of Tennessee will require a loan agreement.

Items in transit are covered with certain restrictions. The Office of Risk Management must be informed before the transfer takes effect. You must also report which facilities are involved so content adjustments may be affected. Items must be transported by State employees. We do not provide insurance coverage for individual carriers for hire. The limit for transit coverage is $1,000,000 per occurrence. If additional limits are needed, they must be approved by the Office of Risk Management. This limit does not apply to fine arts.

Yes. The University of Tennessee, through The State of Tennessee, procures fidelity and crime coverage in the amount of $1 million per occurrence, for all State employees. There is a $100,000 per occurrence deductible, which applies to each loss.

Contact UTPD to file a report for all property losses that arise from criminal activity (theft, vandalism, etc.). If the loss occurred off-campus, file your report with the police department where the loss occurred. If provided a case number, include this with the completed Incident Report.