ALL AUTO ACCIDENTS, WHETHER INVOLVING AN INJURY, NON-INJURY, THIRD-PARTY, AT FAULT, PARKED VEHICLE, VANDALISM, OR TWO UT VEHICLES, MUST BE REPORTED TO THE UT SYSTEM OFFICE OF RISK MANAGEMENT WITHIN 1 BUSINESS DAY USING THE UT DRIVER’S REPORT OF VEHICLE ACCIDENT FORM.
The following procedures apply to ALL operators of any vehicle being used for University business following an accident:
- If the injury requires immediate medical attention, call “911” and the campus police department (if on or near campus) or the appropriate law enforcement agency (if off campus).
- If there is no need for medical care, contact the appropriate law enforcement agency or if on-campus or in the campus vicinity, contact UTPD.
- Do not admit fault or guilt to anyone.
- Never offer to pay for any damage, medical bills, towing, rental cars, taxi service or any other charges incurred by another party resulting from the accident.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver(s) involved as well as insurance information. Obtain contact (name, address, phone number) information of every witness.
- If the vehicle is towed from the accident scene, determine where the vehicle will be taken and what may be necessary to retrieve the vehicle.
- Ask the investigating law enforcement officer to provide the accident report number and how/where a copy can be obtained.
- Report the accident to the UT System Office of Risk Management by completing the Driver’s Report of Vehicle Accident Form. This form must be completed and sent to The System Office of Risk Management within 1 business day of the accident/incident. If anyone was injured, call Risk Management immediately at 865-974-5409 and report the accident verbally. The accident must also be reported to the driver’s direct supervisor or manager. If the vehicle is provided by Fleet Services as a short-term rental or lease, the accident must also be reported to the Campus Fleet Management.
NEW STATE PROCEDURES/REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the instructions listed above, if you are involved in an auto accident involving a third party (pedestrian) or their vehicle, while driving a university vehicle, rental, or your own vehicle while in the course of your employment, you MUST follow the instructions below:
- Don’t leave the scene. Be prepared to communicate ALL details of the incident to the State’s adjuster.
- Call emergency services (911 or police non-emergency number) as needed.
- Take a least 4 photos of both vehicles, license plates, parking situation, insurance card for other party, and any notable unrelated damages. Include photo of the other party, if applicable.
- Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center within 24 hours to report the incident, then call your supervisor and follow your department’s applicable procedures.
- Do not admit fault in the accident or promise coverage or reimbursement to anyone.
State of TN Auto Accident Call Center
Be prepared to provide the following information to the Call Center:
- Incident date, time, and location
- State driver’s name, phone number, and email
- Any/all other drivers’ names and phone numbers, plus emails, if available
- Any other involved passengers’ names and phone numbers, plus emails, if available
- Vehicle information for all vehicles, including license plate numbers and/or VINs
- Your supervisor’s name, phone number, or other contact information
- Confirm if any fatalities or injuries occurred
IF YOU HIT AN UNOCCUPIED VEHICLE:
- Fill out a Damage Notification Card and leave it on the unoccupied vehicle.
- Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately at (855) 253-0629 with date, time, and location of the incident, as well as any additional information you may have.
- Take photos of both vehicles, as well as the license plate and VIN tag of the other vehicle (on the driver-side dash, near the windshield).