All auto accidents, regardless of type of accident or fault, must be reported to the UT Office of Risk Management within 1 business day using the UT Driver’s Report of Vehicle Accident Form.


The following procedures apply to ALL operators of any vehicle being used for University business following an accident:

  1. If the injury requires immediate medical attention, call “911” and the campus police department (if on or near campus) or the appropriate law enforcement agency (if off-campus).
  2. If there is no need for medical care, contact the appropriate law enforcement agency or if on-campus or in the campus vicinity, contact UTPD.
  3. Do not admit fault or guilt to anyone.
  4. Never offer to pay for any damage, medical bills, towing, rental cars, taxi service, or any other charges incurred by another party resulting from the accident.
  5. Exchange contact information with the other driver(s) involved as well as insurance information. Obtain contact (name, address, phone number) information of every witness.
  6. If the vehicle is towed from the accident scene, determine where the vehicle will be taken and what may be necessary to retrieve the vehicle.
  7. Ask the investigating law enforcement officer to provide the accident report number and how/where a copy can be obtained.
  8. Report the accident to the UT System Office of Risk Management by completing the Driver’s Report of Vehicle Accident Form. This form must be completed and sent to the Office of Risk Management within 1 business day of the accident/incident. If anyone was injured, call Risk Management immediately at 865-974-5409 and report the accident verbally. The accident must also be reported to the driver’s direct supervisor or manager. If the vehicle is provided by Fleet Services as a short-term rental or lease, the accident must also be reported to the Campus Fleet Management.

New State Procedures/Requirements

In addition to the instructions listed above, if you are involved in an auto accident involving a third party (pedestrian) or their vehicle while driving a university vehicle, rental, or your own vehicle while in the course of your employment, you must follow the instructions below:

  1. Don’t leave the scene. Be prepared to communicate ALL details of the incident to the State’s adjuster.
  2. Call emergency services (911 or police non-emergency number) as needed.
  3. Take at least 4 photos of both vehicles, license plates, parking situation, insurance card for the other party, and any notable unrelated damages. Include a photo of the other party if applicable.
  4. Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center (855-253-0629) immediately to report the incident, then call your supervisor and follow your department’s applicable procedures.
  5. Do not admit fault in the accident or promise coverage or reimbursement to anyone.

This contact must be made within 24 hours of the accident to avoid a $1,000 penalty to your departmental account.


State of Tennesse Auto Accident Call Center


Be prepared to provide the following information to the Call Center:

  • Incident date, time, and location
  • State driver’s name, phone number, and email
  • Any/all other drivers’ names and phone numbers, plus emails if available
  • Any other involved passengers’ names and phone numbers, plus emails if available
  • Vehicle information for all vehicles, including license plate number and/or VIN
  • Your State Supervisor’s name, phone number, or other contact information
  • Confirm if any fatalities or non-fatal injuries occurred

If you hit an unoccupied vehicle:

  1. Fill out a Damage Notification Card and leave it on the unoccupied vehicle.
  2. Call the State of TN Auto Accident Call Center immediately at 855-253-0629 with the date, time, and location of the incident, as well as any additional information you may have.
  3. Take photos of both vehicles, as well as the license plate and VIN tag of the other vehicle (on the driver-side dash, near the windshield).


You can find the current State Auto Accident Reporting Instructions and the Damage Notification Card on the Office of Risk Management website.


If you are wishing to file a claim with the State for your damages/injuries; All claims against the University of Tennessee are adjudicated by the State of TN Division of Claims: Citizens wishing to file a claim for their damages/injuries will need to access the Treasury web portal located at


Contact Person:

Jennifer Lane