Certificate of Insurance Requests
The University of Tennessee, as an agency of the State of Tennessee, self-insures its exposures in general liability, professional malpractice, and workers’ compensation. The limits of liability for general liability, professional malpractice, and automobile liability are $300,000 per person and $1 million per occurrence. The limits of liability under workers’ compensation are those set forth in T.C.A. 50-6-101 et seq.
A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is an official document providing the essential details of The University of Tennessee’s insurance coverages and limits to an outside organization. Outside organizations typically request a certificate of insurance when:
- The University has a written contract that requires insurance
- The University is holding an event or activity at an off-campus location
As a public agency, the University is not permitted to add other entities as additional insureds to the State’s self-insurance comprehensive liability program, nor can we provide contractual liability coverage that would assume contractual indemnification or hold harmless provisions.
A request for a Certificate of Insurance must be submitted electronically by a University employee only. Accompanying this request should be a copy of any agreement between the outside organization and the University of Tennessee if available.
All contracts or agreements must go through the proper university contract review process before submitting the request for the COI. If unsure of the process, contact the Office of Risk Management.
- Go to https://proofinsuranceletters.tennessee.edu to access the Request for Proof of Insurance Coverage E-Form
- Enter your UT netid in the “Username” field and your associated password in the “Password” field
- Click the blue “Create Request” button towards the top right hand of the webpage
- Fill in each field appropriately with the following information and attach the corresponding form(s)
- The person submitting the request and contact information (this is the requesting UT employee’s information)
- Reason for the request for certificate of insurance
- Activity or items to be covered by the insurance
- Period of time activity takes place
- Confirm that dates are entered in the specified YYYY-MM-DD format
- Requesting Organization Name and Address (i.e., not a University Department – this is to whom the certificate should be sent)
- Copy of any contract or agreement between the outside organization and the University of Tennessee
- Click the “Submit” button at the bottom right of the screen
Note: Please allow time for a review of your request. Depending on the volume received, please allow 1 business day for review to be completed.
For questions regarding certificate of insurance requests, please contact the System Insurance Coordinator, Caitlin Cai, at email@example.com or 865-974-5070.