Workers’ Compensation insurance provides medical and wage benefits to employees who suffer on-the-job injuries.

Any employee with a work-related injury may be entitled to Workers’ Compensation Benefits.

The Workers’ Compensation program at the University of Tennessee is designed to best serve the needs of the University and its employees. The program is managed by the Tennessee Department of Treasury Division of Claims and Risk Management and is currently administered by CorVel Corporation, one of the nation’s leading claims management organizations.

If you sustain any on-the-job injury, we require you to report it to CorVel within 3 days. Follow the reporting procedures below.

If you have questions, or you need assistance with the reporting process, the UT System Office of Risk Management is available to assist you.


To avoid a $500.00 penalty to your department:
All injuries must be reported to CorVel within three (3) business days.
All injuries must be reported to CorVel before getting medical care.


Injured Worker – You start the reporting process:

  1. Report your injury to your supervisor when it happens.
  2. Report your injury to CorVel (even minor injuries)
    • Call 1-866-245-8588 Option #1 (nurse line)
    • If you need medical care, the nurse will send you to an authorized doctor. You MAY NOT treat with an unauthorized provider!
    • DO NOT go to the doctor before you report to CorVel.
  3. Complete an Incident Report online via the Origami Portal
  4. You will receive an email confirmation from

Supervisor – You finish the reporting process:

  1. You will receive email notification from of the new injury after the injured worker’s submission is complete.
  2. Follow the instructions in the email to submit your Supervisor Statement and complete the reporting process.
  3. Follow up with your injured worker for the doctor’s return to work status. Contact your campus Workers’ Comp Coordinator to process the return to work.


Button for On the Job Injury Portal Link


Call 911 or go to the nearest ER immediately!

Supervisor – You must report emergency on-the-job injuries on behalf of your injured worker:

  1. Firstly, ensure your injured worker has appropriate medical care (911, nearest ER)
  2. Call immediately to report your worker’s injury to CorVel (24/7):
  3. Report the incident to:
    • Your Campus or Department Safety Officer
    • Your Supervisor
    • UT System Office of Risk Management

Injured Worker – You must initiate the online reporting process as soon as possible:

  1. Obtain the CorVel claim number from your supervisor
  2. Complete an Incident Report online via the Origami Portal